A fun Blog to share fun and easy ways to be green!

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Energy Savings at Red Bank Wal-Mart

I wanted to share an experience I had at the new Wal-Mart near my office today. When I walked down the frozen foods aisle to pick up a pizza for lunch, I felt a strange sense that something was happening as I walked down the aisles. Then I caught it. All of the lights were off in the freezer case, but as I walked down the aisle, the lights came on. I guess it's similar to the bathrooms that have those type of lights. Anyway, I thought it was incredibly cool.

On a similar note, I went to Phoenix Recycled Products with our recycling group this week. They make products from recycled tires, including the rubberized mulch you see at the big box stores. The owner mentioned that Wal-Mart has mandated that their products contain recycled-content generated from Wal-Mart by 2009 in order for them to carry their products.

It's so interesting to see how a mega-power like Wal-Mart can impact so many environmental changes. It's all about the bottom line, and I'm still not a huge Wal-Mart fan, but it's really fascinating to watch.

No comments: